There is nothing that gets me in the mood for the haute season more than a feminine, playful apparition, developed around a skirt to inspire.
And, to keep things simple, I made a list of items that may be the central pieces in a story. Summer styling story, that is. Here are my top ten choices for this season:
1. The Dark Denim Skirt – because it looks great with a floral oversized shirt and colourful platforms. Could do with suede boots, top and fringe bag also. True Religion – Jeans Skirt in Ghost Wash, http://www.stylebop.com
2. The Graphic Print Skirt – experiment with shapes and colours and wear a bold, futuristic design to keep boredom away. Style it with oversized shirts or tops, wedges or stilettos. Or else, go with white sneakers and and oversized white loose trench. MSGM Patchwork Print Mini Skirt, http://www.shop.harpersbazaar.com
3. The Sporty White – because it makes the perfect support for the colour-rebelling mode: all white. Goes along well with white sneakers and white top. Or black and white striped shirt. Choies White Padded Quilting A-Line Skirt, http://www.chioes.com
4. The Maxi Boho Dress – it’s definitely a summer statement, and a great item to style retro hippie outfits. Makes a great match with a denim jacket, preferably in darker tones.
River Island Black Floral Print Maxi Skirt, http://www.riverisland.com
5. The Translucent Apparition – Try this amazing trend this season and drop the inhibitions. Directly proportional to your prejudice level, you will be able to show more or less skin. Don’t be afraid to experiment, keep it cool and loose, and you’ll survive. If you want to play it safe, consider a classic cut for the opaque material. LUCLUC Black Unilateral Split Stretch Lace Long Skirt, http://www.lucluc.com
6. The 70’s Camel Suede Skirt – because it’s iconic and we love it. Go with printed shirts, either geometrical or floral, platform sandals, hand-bag. Denim is also a good match in terms of shirt or jacket, and would go great with gladiator sandals and fringe bag.
Miss Selfridge Suede Popper Skirt, http://www.missselfridge.com
7. The Nude Lace Skirt – this is a versatile piece for summer. Go all nude with a feminine blouse and flat sandals, mix with polo shirt and sneakers for a little fun or put on a blazer and shirt, for a day walk in the city. Michael Kors Pleated Dance Skirt, http://www.marissacollections.com
8. The High-Waist Floral Skirt – chic and sassy, this skirt goes amazing in special city looks. Wear it with a cropped top or bustier and stilettos. Ted Baker Abaigh Cascading Floral Full Skirt, http://www.harrods.com
9. The Blumarin Leather Skirt – since bluemarin is a colour to go for this summer, and leather also a newcomer for the hot season, why not mix the two of them in a bold outfit? The retro cut makes perfect room for a graphic top and platform. Alexander McQueen Laser Cut Floral Leather Skirt, http://www.alexandermcqueen.com
10. The Gingham Print Dress – left it the last as the ‘bride’ of my top ten collection. The gingham print is a trend to develop in the season to come, as seen on the runways, so do get this item if you desire something fresh and so IT for the moment. Dolce & Gabbana Black & White Vichy Print Skirt, http://www.profilefashion.com
Photo credit: http://www.polyvore.com